Friday, October 8, 2010

Exclusive Space-Action MMO Pirate Galaxy Review



by Cody Hargreaves

If there’s one thing our beloved MMORPG genre is lacking, and by lacking, I mean almost non-existent, it’s good ol’ fashioned space pirating. In fact, you’d be hard-pressed to find an MMO nowadays that had ‘space’ in it at all. There are plenty with pirates, and elves, and orcs, and demons, and fairies, and angels, and goblins… but you can almost count the MMOs featuring a jump to warp speed on your hand. And I’d wager less than ten per cent of those have space pirates. All I really want to know is why.

I’ve speculated on this topic in the past, and for the most part I came up empty. Then I played Pirate Galaxy, after playing Mass Effect 2 and watching Starship Troopers, and suddenly it all became clear. 


WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?
Let’s start with Pirate Galaxy, as we can learn a lot about the decline of the Sci-Fi MMO here, and too, because that’s the game I’m supposed to review today. I’ll begin by saying that Pirate Galaxy isn’t a bad game. I don’t want to give you the wrong impression from the start here: Pirate Galaxy is actually quite good. For starters, it has a story. Let me say that one more time: it has a story. You remember what that is, right? It’s the bread and butter of any Sci-Fi adventure; it’s what keeps you coming back, day after day, for another taste of that mind-blowing goodness. If I were to create a list of things that every Sci-Fi MMO must include, story would be right at the top. However, this is something of a double-edged sword, as having a story isn’t enough; it has to be a good story, and it has to be implemented well. That’s where Pirate Galaxy can improve a little.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment